EarlyDues' Early Edition
Forum Archives -- Early Edition

Subject: Meet Me In Chicago

Author
02/18/01
I was just wondering if anyone is seriously interested in getting together in Chicago. I think it would be great fun to meet y'all and see some of the EE sites. Maybe we could even see a taping of What About Kyle uh I mean Joan. ;) I'd love to plan a trip. Let me know!! :)
darbyross
02/18/01
I think all the tapings for this season are sold out (so to speak) I keep praying it will be picked up so I can go to a later taping. So if it does I would love to meet up with some of you guys and go to a taping.
niece1977
02/18/01
They are all "sold out". I think there's only two left since we saw the 11th one taped on Fri. night. A highly enjoyable experience even without the Kyle stuff, but something which just sends you over the moon when you see him, I promise. LOL!!! The show is definitely good enough to become a hit, at least from the two episodes we saw (the pilot and the one they filmed). I know I'm going to be talking it up to everyone I know and probably even a bunch of people I don't. So I'll keep my fingers crossed that all of you can get into one next season. It's so much fun!!!
stephaniearwen
02/18/01
I'm seriously interested! The real issue for me would be money- but that might take care of itself if I get into Teach For America and they send me to Chicago (my first choice)! :D OMG, I can see it now- native Chicagoans will be quite perplexed to see a bunch of tourists screaming about the Sun-Times building. :O BTW, Shana, I think the TV should be big enough for both of us to hug.
moogie454
02/19/01
I have to go to Milwaukee over the July 4th weekend with my husband. I'll ditch him and meet in Chicago...actually he's dying to meet you guys so he'd probably come too. If we're actually going to do this, whenever you meet I'm in.
Amy-Kokomo
02/19/01
Abby and I would be interested, too. I do have some questions, tho.

1)What would it take to make this a convention? I've heard of these things, but I don't know what is involved.

2)Is there even the remotest chance we could entice some of the cast to come? Kyle? Shanesia? Ron Dean? Anyone else who lives in the Chicago area? I suppose they would want to be paid and that could put a pretty quick stop to this question

3) Am I dreaming too big? I don't even know how to figure out the logistics of something like this.

On the other hand, lunch and a big screen TV would be fine. :)

othergirl
02/19/01
I live about an hour outside of Chicago. If you guys decide to meet up, I'll catch the train and join up with you.
karens608
02/19/01
I wouldn't know how to figure out the logistics of trying to make this a convention, either. The word "logistics" will always make me think of The Wall. :) But, I'm with you - lunch and a big screen TV and a bunch of obsessed...uh...focused EE fans sounds good to me! :D
shana93
02/19/01
Would everyone rather wait to see if "What About Kyle uh Joan" gets picked up and see if we can get into a taping for next season, or would everyone just rather go and see the EE sites and just get together?
Amy, I'm with you!! I wouldn't even begin to know how to entice some of the cast to put in an appearance. I went to an X-Files convention, but those, I believe, are put together by some kind of corporation. It was huge and had at least three cast members appear that day. :O
springfever
02/19/01
It's funny that you would post this-our family is going on vacation to Chicago this summer (myself,husband and two sons) and I can't wait!! We plan our vacations around baseball parks and plan to go to cubs and sox games. We already have our reservations made. I can't wait to see all the EE sites. My husband and kids probably won't be too happy, but oh well!! I also plan to check out where KC is supposed to live in Chicago (I can stand and drool and make a complete fool of myself. :)
karens608
02/19/01
Well, my guess is that we'd have to wait till May to find out if "What About Kyle, uh, Joan" gets picked up for the fall, because I think that's when the networks anounce the new fall schedules; plus there's talk of both an actor's strike and a writer's strike taking place which could screw things up, so maybe we should just try to get together.
Ren713
02/19/01
God, I would love to meet you guys and visit the windy city since I've always heard such great things about it! And for me, any excuse to travel. However, my brother is getting married in June in NJ (I'm in FL) and I'm in the midst of looking for a job at a bigger paper, so I think my vacation and travel plans are pretty limited this year. Rats! If you guys do something and I can't make it, I'll be there in spirit! As for getting any of the old cast members - doubtful. And in a way, I wouldn't want them there. I don't want to be locked up yet!
shana93
02/19/01
That's what I was thinking, Karen. Plus I'd rather not go in the dead of winter and face the brutal Chicago cold, although I'd risk it for KC. ;)

Springfever, we here on the message board recommend buckets for the drool. We wouldn't want you to drown while staring at KC, although it might be a good excuse for him to play the hero again and save you. Maybe you should skip the buckets after all. ;)

Ren, you are coming to NJ--which part, if you don't mind my asking? That's where I live.
Ren713
02/19/01
Clinton, NJ
shana93
02/19/01
Ahh, I'm familiar with Clinton! It's a nice little town about 30 miles from me. I used to go shopping there a lot. :)
moogie454
02/19/01
Maybe we should wait and see if What About Kyle er Joan does get picked up for the fall and all of us go to a taping. Our luck, he may not be in the show we get tickets for..but if he's there, can you picture the picture in the Chicago Sun Times when we all get draged out of there and locked up in the Chicago State Mental Institution?? I wonder if I'll be able to convince a shrink that I'm not really crazy.
Amy-Kokomo
02/19/01
I don't know if any of us could convince a shrink (or the cops, or the reporters)that *it's just a feelin' I had*. Look, you gotta believe me!
TerriRuth
02/19/01
This is a really great idea. I actually thought about asking my husband if we could stop in Chicago on our drive to his new duty station so I could see where the building for McGinty's is located and the Sun-Times building. I won't ask him though, I know he'd never go for it. A siteseeing tour would be so much fun!
Janet486
02/20/01
Milwaukee and Chicago aren't all that far from each other. My brother lives in Gurnee, IL and oftentimes if he's flying somewhere flies out of Wisconsin as opposed to the mess in Chicago. Like some people around here fly out of Providence or Nashua depending on where they live.
shana93
02/20/01
I hope I haven't gotten myself in too deep here, but I have had a few e-mails about the possibility of the Chicago trip. So, anyone who is *seriously* interested, please let me know and I will see about starting to get it organized. If so, I say we shoot for fall as the possibility of seeing a taping would be greater. But that's just my humble opinion. :)
karens608
02/20/01
You can definitely count me in, but obviously it's going to be the easiest for me to get to Chicago. I was thinking though that summer might work better even if it means we can't go to a taping, because it sounds like a lot of people on this board have school-age kids.
shana93
02/20/01
Good point Karen. I tend to forget these things since I have no children and basically no life. :D

Any of you mothers who are interested, let us know your thoughts as to when would be a good time.
moogie454
02/20/01
I would love to go to see a taping but I'll go when we can get everyone together. Just let me know so I can arrange vacation time.
MsSpider
02/20/01
I'd love to visit Chicago! I've been to the airport and covention the center a long time ago. I want to ride the ELs!

I don't have any kids so I can go anytime. I just need to know when to mark it off in my book. I'm self-employeed so I can take off when I want...sort of..LOL How many days are we talking about?

I'm able to post again? I don't know what was wrong this morning. It wouldn't take my password or any email adresses to get my pass word. it was weird.
Cov35
02/21/01
I have relatives in Chicago but I doubt I could drag my parents and brothers around with me. I am going this summer to catch a sox game, and of course take pics of the clock from ee, the sun-times building, and mcginty's [really a carpet store.] :) I'm going to also visit my mom's cousins. Of course nobody would let me go to this thing alone, but I could try. Good idea for it. I found an article saying there was one but that was a long time ago, and the article mentioned a 'Gary Dobson.' I sure hope we could organize one, as long as I could go. if not I'd DIE.
TerriRuth
02/21/01
A taping would be really fun. I am seriously interested, depends on what timeframe is decided on (summer, fall). Are you thinking a long weekend kind of thing? Middle of the week?
karens608
02/21/01
Well, I think tapings take place on Fridays, but since we don't know yet if the show is going to be on in the fall, there's probably no way of knowing the status of future tapings. Since I'm just a relatively short train ride from Chicago(I wouldn't consider trying to drive downtown), any timeframe would work for me, so I'll leave it up to everyone else to decide what would work best for them.
shana93
02/21/01
Everyone seems to be pretty flexible with times, so here's my thoughts. I think it would be better to go in fall for several reasons:

1. The possibility of seeing a taping.

2. Even w/o considering seeing a taping, KC will probably be on vacation in summer, and I'd like to go when the chances of seeing him are greatest. (Look out KC!!) :D

3. Going in fall also gives us more time to save our pennies for the trip. (This may only apply to me, though.)

Anyway, anyone else have any thoughts? Amy, we haven't heard from you and Abby about when is a good time. I don't know how old Abby is or if school is a factor there. Let us know. :)

One more thing, I would want it to be a long weekend or a week, since I am coming from so far and may not get the chance to go again.

amy-Kokomo
02/21/01
Ok here is my input. It would definitely be fun to see a taping. Abby is 15 and yes, school could be a factor. Let's go ahead with tentative plans that most people can agree on and see where it leads us. If attending a taping is feasible, the *kid* and I will try to schedule accordingly.
shana93
02/21/01
So then, if everyone else is agreeable, I say we shoot for mid to late September. Sound good?
abc981
02/21/01
Just thought I would mention that you have to be 18 or older to get into the Joan show. Maybe you could get them to make an exception or maybe the rules will change next season?? ("next season" - wishful thinking!!)
Cov35
02/21/01
oh, well then i'd never be able to get in as i doubt i'd pass for 18. drat. and the whole september thing, yikes school! :O
MsSpider
02/21/01
Since my cable is out AGAIN I've been scouting Chicago websites. OH MY,it's a BIG city. I didn't realize how many trains went through the place. OH MY. It's going to be like...remember where we parked the ship people, cause I think you could get lost on the Ls. Wouldn't it be heaven if we could get KC to be our tour guide? /sigh/
Although Fisher would probably be fun too.
niece1977
02/22/01
They do have an 18 age thing, BUT that said ... they didn't check IDs when we went in the door and I'm thinking the main reasons they say 18 is 1) they very much want this to be seen as an "adult" comedy. I think they don't want it to be confused in any way as something like the Geena Davis show which has kids and family stuff. 2) They can't have little kids at a taping. By making "the rule" 18 they don't have to answer 50 million questions about why kids can't come.

Like I said they told us to bring IDs which they never checked so I doubt they would be kicking anyone who was 15 or 16 out. You could always ask though.
darbyross
02/22/01
The latter part of September will be good for me. :) I just wouldn't be able to go the week of Sept. 3rd. Another woman is on vacation at that time. If we go the week of Sept.17 I can celebrate mine and Kyle's bday with you all.
shana93
02/22/01
Ok, I'm looking at my calendar here and I'm thinking around September 13 (Thursday) through September 17th (Monday) or 18th depending on how long everyone can get away for. And yes Dollene, that'd be great to celebrate yours and Kyle's b-day. I'll buy you dinner that day. :)

Or Sept 15th -22nd if y'all would rather take a whole week. Either is good for me.
karens608
02/22/01
I like the idea of going around Kyle's birthday; it seems very appropriate. :)
darbyross
02/22/01
Those dates would work for me. Does anyone know about what date in May the networks usually say what is being picked up for the fall. That might give us a better timeline for the trip. :) Now if everyone going would buy me a meal for my birthday I could save a lot of money. LOL j/k Thanks for the offer Shana but you don't have to. Just getting to go to Chicago and meet you guys will be such a great birthday. We'll have to set a place to meet and decide on what to wear so we can recognise each other. should we wear name tags? :D
shana93
02/22/01
Denise has given me some great tips for the trip. All who are interested can e-mail me and I'll fill you in.

Dollene, I think we should all have newspapers in our back pockets to recognize each other. :D
moogie454
02/22/01
Shana, I don't know your e mail address, but I want to go. My husband said that the Chicago Hilton is the area where most of EE was shot. He went there on business and visited all the EE hot spots. If there are enough of us and we shared rooms, I'm sure it wouldn't be tooooooo expensive.
darbyross
02/22/01
Hi here are some websites I found that might be interesting for us to check out( www.chicago.il.org) Chicago Convention( www.ci.chi.il.us/Tourism )Chicago office of tourism Also if you call 1-800-2CONNECT you can get a free Chicago Visitors guide that has information on hotels restaurants and the sites. :)
shana93
02/22/01
Sorry Moogie, I forgot not everyone knows my e-mail. I would post it here, but I'm a little leery of it since we had so much spam recently. Anyway, Denise recommends flying into Midway cause it's usually cheaper and there's a Hampton Inn about 2 blocks away that runs about $99/night that also has a free shuttle service to the airport and train. It's also fairly close to the studio. Getting to the train would give us easy access to the rest of the city. If anyone wants to e-mail me for more info, you can get the address off the fanfic site.
darbyross
02/22/01
So who of all of us is planning on going? Shana, me, moogie, amy, abby and who else? Just curious. I am going to do some checking on hotels in the area. $99 woould sure put a crunch on the pocket book for 4 days. But where there's a will there's a way. :)
shana93
02/22/01
I have Me, Karen, Amy & Abby, Moogie, MsSpider, TerriRuth, Dollene, and I'm doing a lot of whining to see if Tracy will join us.

Actually, $99 a night isn't that bad a rate. Of course, we could always double up and cut it in half.
darbyross
02/22/01
I checked flights for me through midway and it will run $50 higher than through Ohare. Plus the flight time is more than double. With at least 2 layovers. So for me ohare looks like the best route. It seems to be about the same distance from taylor street as Midway. I did a little bit of checking on hotels and came up with one near midway that started at 79 a night. I will look some more and see what I can come up with. My sister has been to chicago so I will check with her and see where they stayed and what the rates were.
MsSpider
02/22/01
I'm thinking about taking Amtrak in. It's about half the price of airfare. I really don't think I want to drive. It's would be about four or five hours I just checked on the map thing. MMMM that's not that long of drive. If I just knew where to park. LOL Only trouble with Amtrak the train leaves like 4 in the Morning. :O I'll have to do more checking...we have lots of time right? Arrive on Thursday to leave on Sunday is that what everybody is looking at? Dates are still open but probably in September right? I can share a room with a non-smoker...but not a bed...I ain't that easy going.

Spider...aka Sharon <---so you'll know what to call me when we get together...but...Spider isn't such a bad nickname. Beats Hillybilly. :D
karens608
02/23/01
Even though I live close, I was planning to stay in town, so I'd be happy to room with somebody. Arriving on Thursday sounds like a good idea; that way we have plenty of time to get settled in and get our bearings before going to the taping(assuming there's going to be one, of course.) And Shana, you took the words write out of my mouth about how to recognize each other!
tdmiller82
02/23/01
I like the newspaper in the back pocket thing. Or, we could wear name tags that say "Howzat?" :)
stephaniearwen
02/23/01
Okay, guys, start praying that I get into the Teach For America Chicago corps! Or at least that I get a job in Chicago next year! I REALLY want to meet you guys! :D
tdmiller82
02/23/01
I'll pray for you Stephanie. :)
othergirl
02/23/01
I could come into the city for day while you guys are there; like Karen, I'm just a short-ish train ride away. (Incidentally - may I ask, Karen, where you're from? I live in the Joliet area.)

Midway is small and, to be frank, kinda dumpy. O'Hare is huge, so it might seem intimidating at first, but it's also got all kinds of people to direct you where you need to go. The only advantage of Midway, IMO, is that Southwest flies there, and Southwest is usually cheaper than other airlines. I highly recommend Priceline.com for good ticket prices.

As for a non-Chicago EE site, if anyone's interesting in seeing a prison (which is pretty much all Joliet is known for!), Stateville is where they shot the parking lot scenes in "The Last Untouchables" (I think that was the episode title.) hehe
TerriRuth
02/23/01
Sept 13-17 is good for me. I'll fly into O'hare. I can share a room with a non-smoker, but not a bed, as MsSpider said. Fly in Thursday and fly out Sunday, maybe Monday depends on what's decided.
shana93
02/23/01
Tracy, I like the "Howzat" name tags. :D

Steph, I'm glad to see you on the board again. I was thinking about you last night and considered e-mailing you about the trip. I'll pray you get that Chicago job. :)

Karen, our ESPN must've been kicking in again with the paper in the back pocket idea. ;)

Sharing rooms would cut back on expenses. A lot of hotel rooms have two beds, so I don't think sharing one will be necessary. I like you guys, but not that much.
karens608
02/23/01
I'm in Glen Ellyn, and it's weird that your name is Eva, because I grew up next door to a girl named Eva. :)
karens608
02/23/01
Shana, You're the X-Files fan, right? Maybe we should get Mulder and Scully to investigate this ESPN thing! :D
niece1977
02/23/01
I couldn't agree with you more about Midway being a dump. HOWEVER, there is a huge advantage in driving to the studio, which y'all will probably have to do whether it's by taxi or a rental car for the day. Even though O'Hare looks to be the same distance on the map from the studio, it's basically a straight shot from the Midway hotels to the studio. The group of us who just went also *tried* to go in Dec. but our show was cancelled, which was just as well because we got lost in traffic and the directions were a little crazier from that and the downtown area.
darbyross
02/23/01
AAHHH!! Tracy does that mean you are going? And Stephanie I hope you get to go too. I am really getting excited. I ordered my new Chicago tourism book this morning. :)
darbyross
02/23/01
I'll have to check with a travel agent on flights through midway. What I found on the net had me going through Milwaukee and Cleveland. Plus it was higher. Doubling up would be fine as long as no one snores :) I think the paper idea is a good one. We could wear jeans and plaid shirts too. :)
abc981
02/23/01
//The group of us who just went also *tried* to go in Dec. but our show was cancelled, which was just as well because we got lost in traffic and the directions were a little crazier from that and the downtown area. Denise //

Just a little correction. ;) Some of us arrived at the studio in December with no problem except for the horrible traffic. But I agree, it was better to wait until February so we all could make it there in time. :)

Someone asked under another topic about our seats and arrival time. We got to the studio at 4:30, that's when they open the doors. You then wait in a large room indoors until about 6 or 6:30 when they actually seat you in the audience area. The taping is supposed to start around 7:00. The audience area is elevated so you're a little ways away from the stage sets no matter where you end up sitting. Plus they give out some VIP tickets so those people get seated first no matter what time they arrive. Considering we ended up in the next to last row of the seating area, I would say there had to be several people who didn't make it into the studio. Wouldn't you think so too, Denise?

I would recommend arriving at the studio no later than 4:30 if the taping schedule is the same next season. Possibly even a little earlier - the time goes by pretty quickly and it's well worth the wait!!
moogie454
02/23/01
I don't mind sharing a room either..but I smoke...but I'll go outside in a corner by the dumpster so you don't have to worry.
niece1977
02/23/01
Okay Linda, you've got me there. :) And I will admit that by the time we were trying to find our way to the studio we already knew that the taping was cancelled so we were less than motivated when it came to finding the place. LOL!!

I think part of the reason why we were seated so far back was because we told them that we were a party of eight. So they sat us all together. At the same time, there were only about 5 or 6 rows in front of us, it's not a large place for people. There were some people who did not get in, I would say. At the very least, there were people who didn't get in until it was almost over. When some people left early they did allow people still waiting to get in to take their seats. If you're there by no later than 430, you won't have any problem getting a seat. Also, although they won't let you into the building until 430, you can get to the studio earlier than that and hang out outside the building, thus ensuring that you have a good place in line.
shana93
02/23/01
Denise or Linda, Was there wheelchair access to the studio and the seating area? And when you had to wait, were you standing the whole time?
shana93
02/23/01
Yes Karen, I'm the X-Files fan. Good idea, btw. Any excuse to meet Mulder is ok with me. ;) Although, sadly, he's pretty much gone from the show now. The new guy is good too though.

And aren't you the one with the KC radar? I hope it comes in handy on this Chicago trip. ;)

Amy mentioned possibly eating at Gibson's Steak House (I think that was the name of it)since KC and Joan have been spotted there. :)
abc981
02/23/01
Denise, I forgot about the lack of motivation when you were trying to find the studio! Another reason we might have been further back in the seating had to do with the number of VIP tickets given out. A rep from the Joan show told me that as the season was winding down, there was a greater demand from the ABC execs for VIP tickets to see the taping of the show.

//Was there wheelchair access to the studio and the seating area? And when you had to wait, were you standing the whole time? //

There were a few chairs in the waiting area, not nearly enough for everyone. But I'm sure they would make the necessary accomodations for anyone who needed them. I remember the letter that came with the tickets said to let them know ahead of time of any special needs.
karens608
02/23/01
Yeah, I guess you could say I have KC radar since I managed to catch a local PBS show that did a feature on EE, as well as a local ABC show that did a feature on WAJ without seeing anything about them in the TV Guide.(I found the PBS show while channel-surfing and the ABC show because I saw a commercial during the local news.)It is called Gibson's Steak House, but I think it may be expensive.
stephaniearwen
02/23/01
Yeah, I've sort of had to pull back to lurker status lately with school, but I have some time today, so I thought I'd jump in. Afterall, I was one of the people who pushed for the trip. :) Do keep me posted via email with dates and other info- I will try to make it, come h_ll or high water!

Regarding identification, all the ideas I've read so far- howzat nametags, papers in back pockets, dressing up like Gary, etc- are really cute. :D I'm planning on making my own "Save Early Edition" t-shirt for my speech in April, so if I go, maybe I'll wear that. :)
holmes1881
02/23/01
Hello, I'm new here but I've been reading your messages about meeting in Chicago. Another EE fan and I have been planning a gathering of Early Edition fans and have this huge Early Edition Fanatic! We could videotape ourselves and send it to Fox Family to further convince them to save the show. First we thought we should protest outside of the Fox Family building but most probably can't make it to CA. Well, we think it's a good idea and we should plan a gathering so think about it, please!
Cov35
02/23/01
well good luck guys! have fun! as i don't pass for 18 and am flat broke i'd never be able to go, but you guys have a lot of fun..... unless one of you wants to give my teacher a pass that says... 'mary can't come to school today... because she is too busy stalking kyle chandler with her internet kc friends. please burn all work that should be done.' i wish. :D bring me back something early edition. ;0
MsSpider
02/23/01
I was checking hotels...we're a over a year too late. The Blackstone is being turned into condos. :( It closed last Nov. Wouldn't it have been a dream to stay there. /sigh/ The rates didn't seem too high. OH WELL...life goes on.

Where did you think would be a good place to stay? After looking over the huge number of choices in the Chicago area, I think I'll listen to those who know the area better.

About the tapingI'm assuming you are talking AM? :O Mornings...I hate them.
darbyross
02/23/01
The taping of the show is on Friday evenings. I think it starts around 6 and goes to 10 or 11. I don't know if I could be up and around by 4:30 in the morning even for Kyle :O Oh, I bet I could. LOL In the tourist guide I had from last year it said the Blackstone had closed for renovations. I was hoping it would be opened back up so we could at least get inside to see the lobby. That would have been really cool to stay there. My sister said Midway airport is way far from downtown, and the Hampton inn is close to midway and the studio I think something in that area would be our best bet. We can always take the Els to downtown and they have passes you can by really cheap. A lady at work mentioned seeing if the hotels had suites with maybe 2 rooms and a sleeper sofa and then we could sleep more people to a room for less money when it is split up. I will check and see if Hampton inn does that and get back to you all. :)
MsSpider
02/23/01
I can stay up till 4:30 in the morning easier than get up at 4:30 in the morning. Here's the web address for the story on the Blackstone Hotel. I'm not sure how to do click on links so you'll have to cut paste. CLICK HERE
darbyross
02/23/01
I checked the hampton inn site and the hotel is 2 blocks from the airport and has a free continental plus breakfast and usa today delivered to the door ( no sun times delivered by a cat a day early, Darn It is 8 miles from downtown and has a TGIF's ajacent to the hotel. The kicker is right now the rates are $149 a night double occupancy non smoking. They either have rooms with 2 double beds or a king bed and sleeper. It runs $129 a night during the week. Weekends it's higher. Anybody near the chicago area who knows of any other hotels near the studio we could check for better rates? If you are a senior, government employee or have AAA you can get a discount and it makes the rooms $136. a night.
earlydues
02/23/01
Don't be too disappointed about the Blackstone. Chuck was right... it is a dump. It was interesting to see the lobby - which is WAY SMALLER than you'd ever imagine, and it had the whole historical atmosphere thing going for it, but nonetheless, it's a dump. :D
niece1977
02/24/01
WOW!!! $129!! I swear we just stayed there for $99. LOL!! And just a little hint, we also stayed four to a room and just didn't tell them. (I know we're very, very bad, but you have to save your pennies somewhere!!)

The ride into downtown with the El takes about 20 minutes, maybe 25 depending on which stop you get off at.

Hmmm...things will come to me as y'all bring up more questions.
darbyross
02/24/01
Denise, It may have something to do with the time of the year also. Probably not alot of people visit Chicago in the winter months. LOL Only those crazed er uh focused fans who want to see Kyle. :)
Abby8504
02/24/01
As an alternate date, could you guys consider Oct.25-28. That's when my fall break is, and I wouldn't have to miss any school. Oh and BTW, could anyone help me look 18? ;)
darbyross
02/24/01
Abby I thought all 15 year olds looked 20 now. LOL. I'm pretty flexible on the dates. So it's just up to everyone else. I heard on a group that a 14 year old got in. I bet we could do something with your hair and makeup and make you look a little older. don't worry I'm not thinking of a Britney Spears do over. :)
dhana93
02/24/01
ROTFL Dollene, Brittany Spears :O Amy, you wouldn't have too much of a heart attack if we made up Abby to look like her would you? :D

I'm flexible on the date too, so it's up to everyone else.
Newf65
02/24/01
Hey! I'm from Joliet...just to let you know, the "Untouchable" prison parking lot scene was done at the Joliet Correctional Center at the intersection of Collins St. & Woodruff Rd. in Joliet. Stateville is across the river and down aways on RTE. 53. "Home Groan" was shot just down the road from the Collins St. location, it turns into State St. in Lockport...where the bank scene was shot and just a block from the "school."

I'll be happy to meet everyone in Chicago...I just went to the McGinty's site tonight after the dog show, and it was pretty cool.

darbyross
02/25/01
Hi Monica, I was wondering if my email went through. :) That will be cool if you can meet us in Chicago. I can't wait to see all the EE sights and take pictures and add them to the stash that I have that needs to be developed. LOL.
Amy-Kokomo
02/25/01
Dollene and Shana, You are welcome to make Abby look like Brittany Spears if you could somehow guarantee the income potential. Abby's father and I would like to be supported in the manner of extreme wealth. :0
moogie454
02/25/01
October would probably be better for me than Sept. so I can go either way. My friend, another EE fan wants to come with me. BTW, it seems like more and more people are catching EE now that it's on Fox, so maybe we can think of a way to introduce them to this site and begin our rallying again.
karens608
02/25/01
I bought this really detailed map of downtown Chicago, and saw that there's a Best Western very close to McGinty's (I know, I know, it's not really McGinty's), but it's not close to the studio. In fact, the studio appears to be about as far west as you can get, and still be in the city limits.
abc981
02/25/01
You're right, the studio is on the far west edge of Chicago. I think Cicero is the closest suburb. The immediate studio area looks very industrial and the surrounding area is not really one you'd want to hang around in after dark. :)
shana93
02/26/01
Is everyone in agreement about the date---October 25-28th? I want to at least get a date nailed down and then we can work from there. Let me know!!! Since seeing the ads for the show, I am more excited than ever about this trip. :)
rach1121
02/26/01
I wanna come so bad! Could y'all make me look 18 too?
Newf65
02/26/01
Hey there! I just wanted to give everyone a little heads-up information. Just strike upper and lower Wacker Drive from your maps. It is all torn up as of today, and will remain closed for two years. What this means is that it puts a definitely different slant on traffic flow, so just wanted to let you know! Alternate routes are clearly posted. I can't wait to meet everyone!
karens608
02/27/01
Oct 25-28 is fine with me! :)
Amy-Kokomo
02/27/01
Yes, Oct 25-28 will work well for Abby and me also. Thanks for changing the dates. We can celebrate Dollene's b-day belatedly. :)
springfever
02/27/01
Our family is going to Chicago in August for vacation(we love baseball so we go to cities where we can catch games) but I'm also an EE lover and KC lover so I kill two birds with one stone. We're staying at a Comfort Inn in Lincoln Park which is a good location. About a 10 minute ride downtown. I also read that KC lives in Lincoln Park. It's something you might consider. I read this in an article on real estate news in a Chicago paper. I'm jealous that I can't come with you guys if you're able to catch a taping of the new show- good luck with your plans!!
TerriRuth
02/27/01
October 25 - 28 is fine with me too!
darbyross
02/27/01
The October date is fine for me too. Probably even better than September. I was just joking about my birthday. :) I usually try to plan a trip around that time so I can focus on that instead of turning a year older. ;)
moogie454
02/28/01
Oct. 25-28 is fine with me too. I have a few friends that want to come with me so when I get a count I'll let you know. I am so excited.

Disclaimer: This fan run website is for personal, non-commercial use and is totally unaffiliated with Early Edition, Three Characters Inc., CBS Productions, TriStar Television, October Holdings, or anyone else who may have rights to the show. No infringement intended and no profit is being made in any way whatsoever (unless, of course, you consider the emotional satisfaction of supporting and promoting a work of pure genius as profit.) This website was created in homage and with gratitude to the fabulous creators of Early Edition, and also in an effort to support the show and to encourage others to do so.

Return to Earlydues' Early Edition Page

http://members.ncbi.com/earlydues/ee/forum/0106.htm
© 1997- 2001, etc.
earlydues@yahoo.com